Admission to all the programmes at NID is on the basis of the candidates performance in the two-stages of Design Aptitude Test. The objective of these exams is to assess the knowledge, skills and behavioral abilities of candidates.
Bachelor of Design (B.Des)
– At National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD)
- at National Institute of Design, Andhra Pradesh
- at National Institute of Design, Haryana
- at National Institute of Design, Madhya Pradesh
- at National Institute of Design, Assam
Stage 1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims
Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims will be conducted at various test centers across India. Candidates should note that appearing for the DAT Prelims or being shortlisted for second stage of admission process does NOT guarantee automatic entitlement to admission.
Stage 2: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains
Candidates shortlisted after the DAT Prelims will be invited to appear for the Stage 2 DAT Main exam at Ahmedabad or at all campuses of NID viz Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Assam and Madhya Pradesh.
Weightages of DAT Prelims & DAT Mains for Final Result
The final marks of the candidate appearing for the B.Des./GDPD Programme of the National Institute of Design, will be calculated based on the weightages of the marks obtained in the DAT Prelims and DAT Mains as follows:
Note: Only candidates who have appeared for all the tests in both the stages will be considered eligible for the Merit List.
Category-wise reservation of seats
Programmes and Intake Capacity
Bachelor of Design (B.Des.)
The four-year Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) programme is offered only at NID Ahmedabad in the following areas of specialization:
Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD)
The four-year-long Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD) is offered at NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Madhya Pradesh & NID Assam in the following areas of specialization:
- Industrial Design
- Communication Design
- Textile & Apparel Design
- Successful candidates admitted to the GDPD programme NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NIDMadhya Pradesh & NID Assam will be required to attend a mandatory Foundation programme of one-year Allotment of a specialization of choice is based on a candidate’s merit and choice only after successful completion of the foundation programme.
- The GDPD programme at NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Madhya Pradesh & NID Assam has75 seats each for only Indian nationals including all The percentage of seats reserved for candidates (Indian nationals) belonging to various reserved categories are as prescribed in the Government of India guidelines (Refer Section 5 of this document for more information).
Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) and Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD)
All candidates applying for the B.Des. and GDPD programmes must fulfill the eligibility criteria of both age and education qualification.
- For Indian Nationals in General Category and General EWS Category: Only thosecandidates born on or after 1 July 2000 are eligible to apply for
- For Indian Nationals in Reserved Category (Other Backward Class-Non Creamy Layer(OBC-NCL), Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST): Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1997 are eligible to apply for
- For Indian Nationals in PwD Reserved Category: Only those candidates born on orafter 1 July 1995 are eligible to apply for
- For Foreign Nationals in Overseas (Supernumerary) Category: Only those candidatesborn on or after 1 July 2000 are eligible to apply for
Applications for academic year 2020–21 are open to candidates who have passed or will appear for higher secondary (10+2) qualifying examinations in the academic year 2019–20 in any stream (Science, Arts, Commerce, Humanities etc.) from any recognized board of education such as CBSE, IB, ICSE or equivalent.
Examinations considered equivalent to these are as follows:
- Final examination of the 10+2 system under a Central or State Board recognized bythe Association of Indian Universities (AIU, Refer http://www.aiu.ac.in).
- Intermediate or two-year pre-University examination under a Board or Universityrecognized by the Association of Indian
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the NationalDefense
- Senior Secondary School examination under the National Institute of OpenSchooling, with a minimum of five
- Any public school, Board or University examination completed in India or in anyforeign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian
- S.C. vocational examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination at the Advanced (A) level taken inLondon, Cambridge or Sri
- AICTE-approved three-year Full time Diploma after Class X offered by Board ofTechnical Education of any state in India or Union Territories as mentioned on http://www.aicte-india.org.
Candidates who have completed final examinations for class XII (or equivalent) outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce an equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) confirming that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination conducted in India. This certificate is required to be submitted at the time of document verification.
Overseas Category (Supernumerary) candidates:
Foreign citizens—candidates holding citizenship of a country other than the Republic of India—are eligible to apply only under the Overseas (supernumerary) category
In addition to the seats available for the B.Des. Programme, an additional 15% supernumerary seats are available for Overseas candidates. The number of seats available under Overseas (supernumerary) category are as below:
Programme No. of supernumerary seats
Bachelor of Design, NID Ahmedabad 19
- Supernumerary seats under Overseas category are not available for GDPDprogramme at NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Madhya Pradesh & NID Assam.
- Candidates under Overseas (supernumerary) category fall outside the ambit of seatsreserved for the GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories and are required to pay the fees as per Overseas fees
- Candidates holding OCI and PIO card will have to apply only under the Overseas(supernumerary)
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) holding an Indian passport are not eligible to applyunder the Overseas (supernumerary) category and will have to apply as Indian nationals.
- Candidates will be offered admission to NID based on the final merit list of theOverseas (supernumerary) category, which will be prepared after all the stages of the admission process have been
- To accept the offer of admission, overseas candidates are required to visit the NIDcampus in person, as per the At this time, candidates will be required to produce the following documents along with their self-attested photocopies:
- Self-attested copy of the relevant pages of their valid
- Self-attested copies of their grade sheets/mark sheets of SSC (Grade X) and HSC (Grade XII). Candidates in the process of completing their Grade XII must submit a bonafide certificate from their school or
- An equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, which have to be obtained in advance and required to be submitted at the time of document
The candidate will be responsible for obtaining a student visa for the entire duration of the programme at NID, before the commencement of the programme.
- If selected candidates do not pay their programme fees or fail to produce any of therequired documents, or if they decline the offer of admission, their candidature will stand cancelled and their seat will be offered to the next candidate in order of merit under overseas
- Seats remaining vacant in the Overseas (supernumerary) category will lapse and willnot be transferred to candidates from any other
- Overseas candidates will have to appear for DAT Prelims and DAT Mains as per theschedule mentioned in Section 2 of this
- Overseas candidates may choose their test centre for DAT Prelims from any testcentre mentioned in Section 7.3 of this The medium of instruction at NID is English.
National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad 380 007
Phone : +91-79-2662 3462,
Fax : +91-79-2662 1167
Email : email@example.com
National Institute of Design, GH-0 Extension Road, Near Infocity, Gandhinagar 382 007
Phone : +91-79-2326 5602,
Fax : +91-79-2324 4518
National Institute of Design, #12, HMT Link Road, Off Tumkur Road, Bengaluru 560 022
Phone : +91-80-2337 3006,
+91-80-2337 3006 / 2337 3276
Fax : +91-80-2337 3086
National Institute of Design, Transit Campus at EEE Building Nagarjuna University Nagar Andhra Pradesh -522510
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org