At NIFT, multidisciplinary studies not only prepare the students to solve real life challenges but also facilitate them to carve out new and unique paths for themselves. The alumni of NIFT are recognized as adept professionals in a myriad of creative fields, and their success stories are a source of pride for the institute. Industry-Academia interfaces throughout the course provide a cutting-edge learning experience to our students. The body of learning encompasses, acquiring knowledge, skill building and practical application – in addition to celebrating diversity and fostering inclusivity, sensitizing students to cultural and social contexts, which is vital in personality building and develops individuals as change agents in the society.
New and emerging areas across disciplines integrated into the curriculum:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Internet of Things
- Designing Ergonomic Environment
- Advanced Apparel Manufacturing Management
- Big Data and Business Analytics
- Fashion Thinking
- User Experience, Sensory Design
- Augmented Reality, Virtual Experience design
- Head Gear Design
- CAD 3D & Contemporary Manufacturing
- Couture Jewelry
- Travel & Outdoor Gear Design
- Design for Society
- Smart Jewelry
- Smart Textiles
- Active Sportswear, Bespoke Menswear, Wearable Technology
- Shape wear & Seamless Garments on Computerized Knitting
- Optitex for Virtual Prototyping
- Surface Embellishment: Digital Embroidery, Laser, 3D Printing
- Design Strategy
Bachelor of Design B.Des – 4 Years
Bachelor of Fashion Technology Bf.Tech 4 Years
F:Tech Bachelor of Fashion Technology
Master of design / technology 2 yrs:
FOR BACHELOR’S Programmes (B.Des, B.FTech)
Who can apply?
Any candidate who fulfills the prescribed age and educational qualification criteria for the concerned programme can apply.
- Qualifying Age:
Maximum age should be 23 years as on 1st October, 2019. The upper age limit may be relaxed by a period of 5 (five) years for candidates of Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/ Person with Disability (PWD) categories
2A. Educational qualification for Bachelor of Design (B.Des) Programmes
(Fashion Design / Leather Design / Accessory Design / Textile Design / Knitwear Design / Fashion Communication)
- The +2 level examinations in the 10+2 pattern of examination of any recognized Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as Central Board of Secondary Education / State Board New Delhi, and Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination, New Delhi. Or
- A pass grade in the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with a minimum of five subjects. or
- 3 or 4-years diploma recognized by AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education. or
- Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or in foreign countries recognized by the Association of Indian Uni- versities as equivalent to 10+2 system. or
- General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/ Cambridge/Sri-Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level/ International Baccalaureate (IB). or
- Educational qualification for Bachelor of Fashion Technology (Apparel Production) (B.FTech) Programme or
- The +2 level examination in the 10+2 pattern of examination of any recognized Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, and Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination, New Delhi with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. or
- 3 or 4-years diploma in any branch of Engineering recognized by AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education. or
- A pass grade in the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with a minimum of five subjects with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. or
- Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or in foreign countries recognized by the Association of Indian Uni versities as equivalent to 10+2 system with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. or
- General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/ Cambridge/Sri-Lanka) at the advanced (A) level with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics / International Baccalaureate (IB).
FOR MASTERS Programmes (M.Des, M.F.M and M.FTech)
Who can apply?
Any candidate who fulfills the prescribed educational qualification criteria for the concerned Master’s programme can apply.
- Qualifying Age: No age limit
2.A Educational Qualification for Master’s Programme in De- sign- M.Des (Master of Design)
- Undergraduate Degree in any discipline from any Institute / University recognized by law in India
- Undergraduate Diploma of minimum three years duration from NIFT / NID.
Note: Master of Design (M.Des.) is an advanced course that demands an understanding of fundamentals in design and pre- supposes that candidates would be familiar with the basic skills and theories for successful completion of the programme. The course would not provide any basic knowledge and skill development in design as a part of its Master’s programme.
2.B Educational Qualification for Master’s Programme in Fash- ion Management- M.F.M (Master of Fashion Management)
- Undergraduate Degree in any discipline from any Institute / University recognized by law in India.
- Undergraduate Diploma of minimum three years duration from NIFT / NID.
2.C Educational Qualification for Master’s Programme in Fash- ion Technology- M.FTech (Master of Fashion Technology)
- B.F Tech. from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) or
- B.E / B.Tech. from any Institute / University recognized by law in India.
SEATS FOR FOREIGN NATIONAL/SAARC/NRI/ OCI AND DOMICILE CATEGORIES
- Foreign Nationals/ SAARC/NRI/ OCI
Foreign Nationals (whether residing in India or abroad) and Non Resident Indians, who are citizens of India holding an Indi- an passport and have temporarily immigrated to another country for six months or more for work, residence or any other purpose and who meet eligibility and admission requirements of NIFT can also apply for admission.
The selection of eligible candidates of this category for admission in NIFT will be based on their SAT/GMAT/GRE scores, and not on the basis of the Entrance examination. The availability of seats for this category is as follows:
- 5 (supernumerary) seats each at NIFT Campuses Delhi, Mum- bai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Gandhinagar, Raebareli & Srinagar (J&K).
- 3 (supernumerary) seats each at Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodh- pur, Kangra, Kannur, Patna and Shillong.
- Qualifying Age
For UG programmes: Maximum age should be 23 years as on 1st October, 2019. The upper age limit may be relaxed by a period of 5 (five) years for candidates of Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe/ Person with Disability (PWD) categories
For PG programmes: No age limit
- Academic Eligibility
All candidates must satisfy the required academic qualifications listed for the concerned course. In case the Degree/certificate has been obtained from a University /Board of any other country then an equivalence certificate must be obtained from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) New Delhi (website: www.aiuweb.org) prior to admission.
Foreign nationals applying to NIFT must possess working knowledge of the English language.
The Programme and Campus will be allotted on the basis of merit list drawn as per the scores obtained by the candidates in the following examinations:
Candidates may have appeared in multiple SAT /GMAT/GRE examinations prior to 30th April 2020. The highest score among these tests will be taken into consideration for allotment of seat. The GRE/ GMAT/SAT scores should not have been declared before 1st January, 2018 and should be received by the Institute (NIFT) latest by 30th April, 2020.
List of Exam centers:
Date of Written Examination for all UG and PG Programmes: 19th January, 2020.
The weightage assigned to each test in the final merit list of the entrance examination will be as follows:
In case of equal scores of two candidates, the older candidate (as per date of birth) will be given preference.
General Ability Test (GAT)
The number of questions may vary in each section and for each course year to year. The level of difficulty in questions for courses may vary.
Creative Ability Test (CAT):
This test is administered for both UG and PG Design Programmes to judge the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development and design ability of the candidate. An important aspect of the test is the creative and innovative use of colour and illustration skills.
Candidates who try to disclose their identity by writing any personal details or place any identification mark on the answer sheet shall be considered ‘DISQUALIFIED’ and the result of these candidates shall not be declared.
WRITTEN EXAMINATION STRUCTURE (FOR UG AND PG Programmes OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY AND FOR MASTER OF FASHION MANAGEMENT)
General Ability Test (GAT):
M.F Tech will also have some questions from the engineering field.
The number of questions may vary in each section and for each course year to year. The level of difficulty in questions for all courses may vary.
Components of the General Ability Test (for all programmes)
- Quantitative Ability: This sub-test is designed to test the quantitative ability of the candidates. The sub test consists of questions on Addition, Multiplication, Division, Fractions, Percentage, Rate of Interest, Work and Task, Ratio and Proportion, and
- Communication Ability and English Comprehension: This sub- test is aimed at testing the language ability of the candidates in day to day communication in English. It includes questions on synonyms, antonyms, words with corresponding meanings, singular, plural, one word substitutes, idioms and phrases, correct spellings, comprehend a situation from a given passage
- Analytical Ability and Logical Ability: This sub-test is de- signed to test the candidate’s capacity for inference and logic from the given information and to evaluate the candidate’s ability to identify the given problem and apply reasoning in solving the core issues of the problem. Concepts and practice of creative and lateral thinking are likely to be
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs: This sub-test is de- signed to test the candidate’s general knowledge and current
- Case Study: This sub-test is based on a situation of an industry environment. It helps to evaluate the candidate’s managerial
Situation Test – for UG Design Programmes
Shortlisted candidates for B.Des from the written entrance examination are required to take a Situation Test which is a hands on test to evaluate the candidate’s skills for material handling and innovative ability on a given situation with a given set of materials. No additional material will be provided / allowed.
The model will be evaluated on space visualization, innovative and creative use of given material, composition of elements, colour scheme, construction skill, finesse of the model and overall presentation etc. These parameters will be checked with the write up explaining the concept behind the model constructed. Since the medium of instruction in NIFT is English, the write-up will be in English. No marks will be given for write-up in any other language.
The use of outside/additional material in making the model / design is not permitted. Also, candidates who try to disclose their identity by writing any personal details or place any identification mark on the model/ design/write-up shall be considered ‘DISQUALIFIED’ and the final result of these candidates shall not be declared. The evaluation of the test will be done by the Jury on the spot. The model will not be preserved for future reference.
GROUP DISCUSSIONS AND PERSONAL INTERVIEWS (GD/PI) – FOR ALL PG Programmes
Shortlisted candidates for Masters Programmes from the written entrance examination are required to undergo Case Study based Group Discussions (GD) and Personal Interview (PI). GD would comprise approximately 15 to 20 minutes of discussion on a case study assigned, on which a panel of experts will assess the candidates on various parameters including:
- Conceptual clarity
- Knowledge of the topic assigned
- Contribution made to the topic
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to generate new ideas
- Problem solving approach
- Leadership qualities
- Effective communication
Candidates shall be evaluated on the various parameters as listed below by a panel, in the Personal Interview:
- Career orientation
- Aptness for the course
- Overall personal achievements in academics and co-curricular activities
- General awareness and aptitude, creative and lateral thinking
Documents Required for Admission
The following documents along with the photocopies shall be required for Admission after qualifying the entrance examination. The original certificates, except the medical certificate, will be returned to the candidate after verification.
- Original certificates of qualifying examination e. 12th class/ degree (marks Sheet and Certificate).
- In case of admission to PG courses, the candidates will also be required to bring the original certificate (Mark Sheet and Certificate) of the qualifying degree examination. In case the candidate has appeared in final semester/ final year (as applicable) then he/she will have to bring the original mark sheet of all the previous semester/years.
- In case the candidate has appeared for qualifying exam/ compartment (of final year/semester) and the result is due, the date sheet /admit card for examination has to be
- Bank Draft(s) of requisite fee in favor of “NIFT HO” has to be bought. The name of the candidate, date of counseling, phone/ mobile no., name of the programme, Category, Rank and Roll Number are to be mentioned at the back of Bank Draft(s).
- Proof of date of birth (Secondary School Mark Sheet & Certificate) (Original and Photocopy).
- SC/ST/OBC Non-Creamy/PWD/GEN-EWS (supported with requisite Certificate). For State Domicile seats the status of domicile will be decided by the address of school / college (qualifying degree) last attended whichever
- Basis of funding of the tuition fee/ certificate of the parents income e.g Income Tax Return of 2019-20, Salary Certificate of March’2020
- Certificate of Medical Fitness to be signed by a Registered Medical Practitioner in the prescribed format in
- Affidavit on non-judicial stamp paper of Rs.10/- for seeking provisional admission only in case, the result of qualifying examination is yet to be declared (in the format at Annexure-I).
- An undertaking regarding Anti-Ragging
- An undertaking regarding refund of fee
Nift Head Office
Hauz Khas, Near Gulmohar Park
New Delhi – 110 016,
Tel : +91-11-26542149
Fax : +91-11-26535890
NIFT Centres in INDIA
North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health & Medical Sciences (Old NEIGRIHMS Campus)
‘C’ Block, Pasteur Hills, Lawmali,
Shillong – 793 001
Tel : 0364-2590676
Fax : 0364-2590253